Thursday 17 January 2013

The Black Cat (1934)

★★★★☆
1934 Universal  
Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff
Black and White, 65 mins
The Black Cat 
     
       I watched this film late one night on TCM and to my surprise, it quickly became one of my favorites. The movie starts up with Dr. Vitus Werdegast (Lugosi) sharing a train compartment with a honeymoon couple Joan and Peter on their way to Hungary.
      Lugosi explains to the couple about how he's been held in a prison camp for 15 years, and how he's going to meet with an old friend. On the way to the Hotel their bus crashes and Joan is injured, they are forced due to the storm to take refuge in Hjalmar Poelzig's (Karloff) Mansion. 
       Once they enter the mansion thats where things pick up. Karloff is the head of a satanic cult and is trying to use the couple for the next meeting, and Lugosi will stop at nothing to stop him.
      This movie has so many twist and turns if I say any more I'll spoil it. I love this film, the battle between good and evil is just so prevalent. If your a fan of Lugosi or Karloff at the peak of they're career this is a must see.


     



No comments:

Post a Comment